After September 1, 2016:
Apply for admission online at HTTP://ADMISSIONS.PSU.EDU. Priority consideration for freshmen admission to University Park is given to complete applications filed by November 30. Your application must be complete (submitted online, and your high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores are here) to receive a prescreen decision. Log into your MYPENNSTATE account to check your application status.
ALL PRESCREEN MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY JANUARY 7, 2017. AUDITIONS MUST BE SCHEDULED BY FEBRUARY 1, 2017 AND COMPLETED BY FEBRUARY 25, 2017.
Auditioning for Penn State’s Musical Theatre program is a two-step process:
Step 1: All students interested in auditioning for the Musical Theatre B.F.A. must submit the following via digital upload HERE.
- Acting: A memorized monologue no longer than one-minute from a contemporary script.
- Voice: Two contrasting vocal pieces (approximately 45 seconds each).
o One ballad, one uptempo. One of your songs must be written prior to 1970. Please use live or recorded accompaniment.
- Dance: 30-60 seconds of dance, in whatever dance discipline you are most comfortable with: tap, jazz, ballet, modern, African, hip hop, lyrical, contemporary. No barre work. Please stick to vocabulary and steps you are familiar with and can execute well. We just want to see where you are in your dance training. Give us a minute of what will show us YOU through your dance.
Students who are invited to audition with us in person will receive an email confirmation with an invitation to schedule either an on-campus audition or a reserved audition spot at unified auditions in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles (space permitting). Students are encouraged to submit their materials prior to November 30 for the best availability of preferred audition dates and times.
The deadline for all video submissions and consideration is January 7, 2017.
SUBMIT YOUR PRESCREEN
Step 2: Students who are invited to audition in person should prepare the following:
- A one-minute monologue from a contemporary American or British script. (No dialects, please)
- Two contrasting vocal numbers (approximately 45 seconds each) - One ballad, one uptempo. One selection must be written prior to 1970.
* This can be the same material you submitted for your video pre-screen or it can be completely different.
Students who audition in person should also be prepared to dance. All in person auditions include ballet and jazz dance components.
Musical Theatre B.F.A. On-Campus Audition Dates: 2016-2017 (MORE INFO)
December 3, 2016
January 14, 2017
February 4, 2017
February 18, 2017
Musical Theatre B.F.A. Unified Audition Dates: 2016-2017 (MORE INFO)
New York, NY - January 21-22, 2017
Chicago, IL - February 6-9, 2017
Los Angeles, CA - February 11-12, 2017