The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Design and Technology with an emphasis in Set Design is a rigorous training program. The program combines intensive career preparation with an outstanding General Education curriculum.
The state-of-the-art facilities in the School of Theatre include:
• Dedicated undergraduate design studios
• 380-seat proscenium theatre
• 250-seat thrust theatre
• 120-seat proscenium theatre in the heart of downtown State College
• Well-equipped production shops that include metal and wood- work areas, paint shop, prop shop, costume shop, light lab, costume lab, rigging lab, and more.
Students with an emphasis in Scenic Design take the following core classes:
• CAD Drafting/Vector works
• Graphic and Presentation Techniques / Rendering for the Theatre utilizing both digital and traditional media
• Design Fundamentals
• Scenic Design sequence
• Scene Painting sequence
• Period Styles
• Theatre History
Hands on training, exciting design opportunities and stimulating production assignments are a fundamental component of our students’ experience at Penn State. It is our goal to enhance the individual skills and artistic abilities of every student we admit to the program. Students in the Scene Design program typically spend their summers working with professional theatre companies around the country such us:
• Glimmerglass Festival
• Williamstown Theatre Festival
• The Muny
• Wolf Trap Opera
• Cirque de Soleil
• Santa Fe Opera
We strive to create a challenging yet nurturing environment for our students so that they can develop their potential to the fullest.